Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Getting Started...






For my first photo blog I have photos from several different events from the last week and a half. This first one is from a group that visited ACU called "Children of Hope". It was a group of orphaned children from around the world that travels internationally performing Christian songs and dance. They are connected with the organization World Help that provides aide for children worldwide by finding individuals to sponsor a single child for $30 a month.

They were a really sweet group of children that gave an amazing performance. There voices were very sweet and their ability to learn all of the choreography and perform perfectly on time was amazing.




The second group of photos are from the ACU's track team practice on Monday. Unfortunately, there were not many out practicing that day because it was a holiday. I was able to get a few of pole vaulters and runners jumping hurdles. I am not extremely happy with these photos because of focusing issues, but I want to keep trying and hopefully get better.

I looked at a really great wedding photographer's blog this week. The blog is www.josephmarkblog.blogspot.com. He takes more of a journalistic approach at weddings. While he still manages to capture a lot of the normal traditions and posed photos he still gets a lot of candid photos with a journalistic flair to them. I really was impressed with his lighting and loved the angles he chose.

1 comments:

Gary Rhodes said...

Katie,
Nice work, I especially like to first photo of the children. The boys face and position within the frame make the photo. Seeing his right hand might make it even stronger. Being a former ACU PJ student myself, I have shot many a track and field assignment and can understand your frustration with getting the athlete in perfect focus. You did capture a good moment and face on the hurdles shot though. A tighter crop, contrast adjustments and some unsharp mask could make it much more solid. You chose a pretty nice position it looks like as the action is coming towards you, which almost always makes for a nice sports photo. I hope I haven't left you too long of a post or been too preachy, but I've been waiting to see the blogs from Cade's Photo J class for a couple of weeks now.